I find myself sitting on my bed today ugly-crying while listening to a Don Henley tune. You know things are bad when you pull out every loser song you can think of to drown your sorrows in the finest pop of the 1980/90s.
Broken hearts. They suck, don’t they?
My expectations got a little grand over something that wasn’t real. It probably never was real, but being a fanciful creative, I thought it was. This is why magic can get in the way. I was talking to my dogs about what a great life they have not having to worry about crushes and broken hearts, confusion and angsty lust. They seem to be so contented, why would they bother to delve into the disgusting world of modern romance? Why do I continue to do it!
It’s ok, I say to myself. Everyone gets hurt from time to time, and what was I thinking? It’s ok, I say, but it is not. Being in the first year of recovery, my heart is an open wound. “Don’t go there,” wise women warned. But I did. I lost face.
This is not the morose post I intended it to be, because I still find some humor in my circumstances. At 45, I should know that wishing muddy water would become clear by wading in it just won’t work. Still, we wish. I wish.
I think there is humor in pain and wisdom in wading. Instead of crying, I compiled a sweet list for lonely hearts on what to do when your heart is broken. Here’s to us! xx
50 Things to Do When Your Heart Is Broken
- Listen to Don Henley songs.
- Dress like Ozzy and say it’s your new look.
- Send him/her queen size panty hose, an emu, double-headed dong, rank cheese, or whatever you fancy – it’s the thought that counts.
- Practice slipping on banana peels so you can do it authentically.
- Compose a limerick.
- Get distracted.
- Find a hobby, like Irish dancing or ghost busting.
- Become obsessed with Fran Drescher.
- Make your own pasta.
- Get fat.
- Know that this too shall pass (like stool).
- Try on bathing suits (that hurts worse than the broken heart).
- Grow your armpit hair.
- Flirt with everyone. (That 79 year old mailman is looking less decrepit these days.)
- Go to the movies alone.
- Make a collage of hateful thoughts.
- Listen to your mother.
- Grow weeds.
- Laugh at inappropriate moments.
- Get to know your home town.
- Put lipstick on a pig.
- Go gay, or a little gay, or straight, or just be gay. It’s all good.
- Get new underwear.
- Use 80s slang in the office.
- Adopt a shelter dog (just do that anyway).
- Volunteer (stop thinking about that asshole and volunteer).
- Reenact Casablanca with puppets.
- Fart more.
- Tell everyone he or she is dead to you, then wear black to every gathering.
- Get more sun. Energy vampires probably don’t like the sun either.
- Do that thing you always wanted to do, but were too scared to do it.
- Don’t drown your sorrows…dry them, like beef jerky.
- Lend a listening ear.
- Be the sexy mofo you are.
- Laugh again.
- Change a habit.
- Be grateful.
- Make a list of why you are a great catch. Believe it.
- Get your heart broken again.
- Pan for gold.
- Collect aluminum.
- Take lots of bubble baths (water is cathartic).
- Stick with your friends.
- Pump iron.
- Focus on creativity, whatever it is for you.
- Make a mixed tape of empowering songs.
- Buy yourself some toys (you know, wink*wink).
- Love more, not less. Because you will get way over this, sweetie. You will.
❤ xo from the lonely-hearted Aleah